Friday, August 3, 2007

Week 6 - Thing 15 - Library 2.0

I absolutely agree with the statement, "Others within the profession have asserted that libraries have always been 2.0: collaborative, customer friendly and welcoming." I am among the 'others.' I'm afraid, however, that that has most often not been the general public image of libraries and librarians. I see the proverbial, sour-faced shushing librarian in sensible shoes as the antithesis of collaborative, customer friendly and welcoming.

I would add "flexible" to that list of adjectives to more closely reflect what Library 2.0 is about. When I was first studying to become a librarian back in the early 70s, it would have been challenging to imagine the focus of libraries today. Even taking this class, online, no less, would have been a huge mind stretch for me. Surely unless libraries and their personnel are ready to change with the times, even ahead of the times, we run the risk of obsolescence. Someone recently defined life as "a series of changes," and success as "our ability to manage life's changes." When we view those inevitable changes as opportunities for growth and success, that attitude will keep us in the 2.0 mode and beyond.

I also like Wikipedia's statement: "With Library 2.0, library services are frequently evaluated and updated to meet the changing needs of library users. Library 2.0 also calls for libraries to encourage user participation and feedback in the development and maintaining of library services." I need to consider what this means in terms of "my" libraries. Certainly improved two-way communication is essential. The "door" needs to be open, and responsiveness is crucial.

No comments: