Monday, August 13, 2007

Week 9! - Thing 22 - eBooks and audio eBooks

Project Gutenberg is quite amazing! It is remarkable that they are dedicated to simply making eBooks available to all for practically any purpose. I was also taken by surprise by the list of the most popular eBooks. There were many titles that were unfamiliar to me. Why so much interest in The Manual of Surgery, from 1936? Hmmmm....

I'm not sure anyone in our school district has a collection of eBooks, but I could be wrong. It would be interesting to start a discussion about this.

LibriVox offers quite a satisfying volunteer opportunity, I'm sure. It's one thing to scan in pages of a book (rather than hand-typing the text), but quite another to offer the time and effort to read and record a book aloud to create an audio eBook. Wow. It would really be a labor of love.

As far as the list of best places to get free books, I would just like to quote a comment posted by someone on the page: "Yowza! Free Books Abound." Amen to that.

No comments: